Did you see the title of this recipe? Trail Mix…yes, please. Granola Bars…definitely (my favorite snack). What more could you want? This is a super, easy recipe to make and on the healthier side of snacks so it’s a win-win for your family. I recommend making more than you think you’ll need. They go fast!
Let’s talk about the ingredients for this one. The recipe is so versatile. I used almonds and pecans but you could use sunflower seeds, pepitas, cashews or even walnuts. The original recipe called for dried cranberries but my family is not a big fan so we used our favorite tropical dried fruit which includes apricots, pineapple, golden and regular raisins and coconut flakes. Again, there are many varieties of dried fruit you could use. I went with chocolate chips but any other baking chips could work too.
I used peanut butter but this would be so good with different nut butters. Once you add the nut butter to the honey, it’s a creamy bowl of yum any way you go about it!
I’ll be honest, I’ve tried many different granola bar recipes but this one will repeat itself often in this household. I love the versatility of it all and it’s the best taste I’ve found so far.
Trail Mix Granola Bars
- 2/3 cup whole almonds
- 6 oz pecans
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/3 cup flaxseed, ground
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried fruit of your choice
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment or wax paper, leaving extra on the sides to pull the bars out of the pan. For thinner granola bars, use a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Roughly chop the almonds and pecans, or pulse the nuts gently in a food processor until medium-small pieces.
- Place the chopped nuts in a large bowl with the oats, ground flax, chocolate chips and dried fruit; mix together.
- In a separate microwave safe bowl, melt the peanut butter.
- Stir in the honey and sea salt.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly (so the chocolate chips won’t melt).
- Pour the peanut butter mixture in the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Fold ingredients together with a spatula until everything is coated.
- Press mixture into the parchment lined baking dish, packing it tightly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Pull the granola slab out of the pan with the edges of the parchment paper.
- Cut into 12 bars.