Pie. Who doesn’t love it? That all-American goodness surrounded in flaky crust. To me there is a pie for every season. Heading into summer, I’m all about the fruit pies. The sweetness of summer fruit makes these hand pies irresistible. Plus there is just something fun about carrying around your own personal piece of pie.
This recipe uses simple ingredients but does take a bit of time to cut the dough and assemble the pies. Be patient with it. I promise the results will be worth it!
A note about the pie crust: If you are a pie crust aficionado and can roll out a beautiful, flaky crust by all means do that. I have struggled with making pie crust my entire adult life so most of the time I will use a refrigerated version. It’s pliable enough to work with and saves my sanity.
When I made these, I wanted what most would call a mini hand pie so I used a 3/4″ circle. If you want to make them larger, I would suggest a 1 – 1 1/2″ circle. Using the smaller size circle, I was able to get 12 hand pies using both pie crusts in the box. I probably could have rolled out the extra dough and got 3-4 more but a dozen was perfect for me and I used the extra dough for pie straws.
Once you cut the dough and fill the center with a bit of filling, you’ll want to fold the dough over and crimp the edges so none of your inside goodness leaks out during baking.
Be sure to brush an egg mixture onto the dough so it bakes up G.B.D. (golden brown and delicious). You’ll also want to cut a small slit into the top of each pie so the steam can escape during baking. Oh, the smell of these filling your kitchen is what a cook’s dreams are made of.
Strawberry Hand Pies
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust
- 3 cups strawberries, diced small
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla. Set aside.
- Roll out the pie dough on a flat surface.
- Using a 3/4″ circle, begin cutting out your rounds. Repeat with the other piece of dough.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Lightly brush this around the edges of each pie dough round.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of the strawberry filling onto the middle of each round.
- Fold the opposite side of the dough round over to enclose forming a half circle.
- Using a fork, gently press the edges together to seal
- Cut a small slit in the top of each pie to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Brush the tops of each hand pie with the egg wash and then generously sprinkle each with the raw sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the pies are golden brown.
- Transfer the pies to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.