All your favorite breakfast food in one dish. Bam! And a versatile recipe that allows you to switch up the ingredients and still create a delicious bite of breakfast your family will love. That’s the best way I know to describe this casserole.
Aside from this base recipe, I’ve switched things up and used bacon or ham, pepper jack or gouda cheese, and added mushrooms, onions or bell peppers. The options are endless. I encourage you to start with the base recipe and create your own masterpiece.
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 (8 oz) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup half and half or milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Crumble and cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat until browned.
- Drain grease from sausage and set aside.
- Line bottom of a greased 9×13 inch pan with crescent roll dough, pinching together the perforated seams and pushing the dough so you get a nice seamless bottom that goes from edge to edge in the pan.
- Spoon the sausage over the crescent dough.
- Then sprinkle the cheese over the sausage.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, half and half or milk, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage and cheese making sure the mixture gets evenly distributed in the pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 min before cutting into squares.
Chef’s Note: This casserole can be assembled the night before, covered and refrigerated, and then baked the next morning.