Wonton wrappers…what are they? Where do I find them? What are they made of? These are all questions that popped up when I first laid eyes on these Sausage Stars. I was very familiar with eating Chinese food but didn’t realize these were the things that wrapped all the goodness inside my egg rolls and crab rangoon. Once I started using wonton wrappers, I realized how versatile they are and have since created many dishes with them over the years.
I was first introduced to this gem of an appetizer at a home party my friend Katie hosted. They were the rage for awhile and showed up at every party I attended. There is a couple steps to making them but none are complicated.
Your first step is to use the wonton wrappers to make cups for holding the delicious filling.You will place one wrapper into each hole of a muffin tin and press down to create the cup. The cups are then pre-baked before adding any filling. This can be done a day ahead as long as you store the cups in an air-tight container.
Once the filling is added and baked again, you end up with a delicious cup of cheesy goodness!
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 package wonton wrappers (found in produce section)
- In a muffin pan, place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup and push to bottom so points of wrapper are sticking up.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 8-10 minutes until cups are slightly brown.
- Cook sausage and drain well.
- Add sausage, cheese, ranch dressing, garlic salt and oregano to pan and cook until cheese is melted.
- Spoon sausage mixture into each wonton cup.
- Place cups back into 250 degree oven and bake for additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.