Wraps have become popular in the last decade. You can find them on many restaurant menus now. Wraps are so versatile because you can use many different ingredients and flavors to make them interesting. They are a great way to use up leftover ingredients and provide a quick, easy meal on those busy days.
My husband and I have been trying to eat a Mediterranean diet at least three times a week. The Greek way of life is a healthier one and includes foods that are heart healthy. I’ve been doing research on Mediterranean recipes and then adjusting them to our tastes. For instance, this recipe includes cucumbers and tomatoes but the hubby won’t eat them. Sometimes I will buy them and add to my wraps but on this particular day I didn’t have any on hand. Greeks also love their kalamata olives which my husband and I do not care for so I substitute black olives. There are several base ingredients throughout Mediterranean cuisine such as black olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, hummus and feta cheese. Add to that proteins like turkey, fish and seafood and you have a low-calorie, delicious cuisine.
For these wraps, you will need to gather the following ingredients.
NOTE: I prep chicken breasts each weekend and then store them in the fridge or freezer to be used for upcoming meals. In this recipe, I’m using pre-made, grilled chicken breasts.
Since we’ve been eating a Mediterranean diet on a regular basis, I’ve been buying whole, pitted olives in a can and slicing them myself. It’s a cheaper alternative to buying the pre-sliced, small cans most commonly found in the grocery store and only takes me about five minutes to do. Once I slice the olives, I store them in a glass jar in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for 2-3 weeks.
For best results, wrap the tortilla as you would a burrito to keep all the ingredients inside and make it easier to eat. Enjoy your journey to the Mediterranean!
Grilled Chicken and Hummus Wraps
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 4 (10-inch) tortillas (any flavor variety)
- 3/4 cup hummus (any flavor variety)
- 3 cups spinach leaves, stems removed & torn into smaller pieces
- 2 medium roma tomatoes , diced
- 1 medium cucumber , peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat a grill pan or BBQ grill over medium-high heat.
- Pound chicken to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet.
- Brush chicken breasts lightly with about 1 Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Brush grill pan or grates lightly with oil, and grill chicken until it registers 165 on an instant read thermometer, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate, cover with foil, let rest 10 minutes then thinly slice.
- Add chicken to a resealable bag, pour vinaigrette over chicken and toss to evenly coat. Let the chicken marinate while prepping your other ingredients.
- Slice black olives, if needed, and set aside.
- Wash spinach leaves and pick through them to remove stems and tear into smaller pieces.
- Dice tomatoes and set aside.
- Peel and dice cucumber and set aside.
- To assemble wraps spread about 3 tablespoons hummus over each tortilla.
- Top with chicken, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, black olives and feta cheese.
- Wrap tortillas as you would a burrito and enjoy.