I’ve been enjoying broccoli cheese rice casserole for years. It was a staple of side dishes during the holidays when I was growing up. I just recently started adding chicken to make it an entire meal for my family. Let it be known that I am not a fan of Velveeta cheese “product” but in this recipe it is tradition and plays an important part in the creaminess of the dish. I am a fan of sneaking broccoli into my non-veggie eaters with this dish. The trick is to put the broccoli in a food processor and pulse it into small bits so the broccoli flavor is not overwhelming. It works for my pickiest of eaters!
This was the first time I tried half and half instead of milk. It made a big difference on the creaminess factor. However, if you want to skip the extra calories, milk works just fine too.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 small onion, diced fine
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts into cubes.
- Chop broccoli into smaller pieces, if needed.
- Cut Velveeta cheese into cubes.
- Prepare rice as directed on package.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, mix the prepared rice, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, butter, milk, broccoli, onion and Velveeta cheese.
- Stir until ingredients are combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.