This coffee cake is a delicious combination of cinnamon, sugar, blueberries and oats served up on a foundation of biscuit dough. Enjoyed alongside a cup of good coffee makes it a superb breakfast.
I named this recipe Blueberry Cobblestone because after cutting the biscuits into fourths and dipping them in melted butter and cinnamon sugar they look like cobblestones when you place them in the pan.
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is when you add the blueberries to the granulated sugar. As you mix it together, press down on the blueberries slightly to release some of the juices and you get the most beautiful purple colored sugar. It’s the simple things in life right? Take that delicious cobblestone biscuit foundation and add oats and blueberries on top and you get this beauty. Oh, the aroma in the kitchen while this bakes is divine!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 (12 ounce) can buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Generously grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well with a fork.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters, and dip each piece in melted butter and coat with brown sugar mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the oats.
- Combine blueberries and granulated sugar in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Spoon blueberry sugar mixture over oats and biscuits and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup oats.
- Drizzle melted butter on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cake is golden brown and center is done.