This stew is from one of my favorite cookbooks, 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Recipes, and you would never believe it because it is so tasty. The stew is literally five ingredients thrown in a Crockpot and results in something your friends and family will think took you hours and lots of ingredients to prepare.
NOTE: I’m showing parmesan in a can here because it is the cheapest and easiest choice but I always recommend using fresh cheese and grating it yourself. It will make a considerable difference in the taste of the dish. Be sure to look for the diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano seasonings in the can. This is a trick to give additional flavor without using extra ingredients.
Pesto Meatball Stew
- 1 (32 oz) package frozen Italian-style meatballs, thawed
- 2 (15 oz) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- In a slow cooker, place the meatballs in the bottom.
- Add tomatoes and then beans on top.
- Spoon pesto on top of other ingredients.
- Pour water over the top.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4-5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-3 hours.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.