Mexican cuisine is probably numero uno in mi casa. We love all the popular Mexican dishes but we also love to take those flavors and make them into something new. This soup recipe is a result of cleaning out the pantry and fridge. I always have ingredients that need to be used up before the next meal plan is created and I created this recipe based on ripening avocados. Ever happen to you? I am constantly throwing away avocados because I didn’t use them in time. It’s one of those ingredients that after it peaks you just can’t use it. I sure wish I lived in a tropical location where I could pick my avocados directly off the tree when I need them [insert day dreams of beaches, palm trees, toes in the sand and fresh picked avocados here].
This soup recipe uses simple ingredients, many of which you probably already have in your pantry, and can be ready in 30 minutes for a quick, delicious meal.
NOTE: The jar pictured contains my homemade taco seasoning which you can find the recipe for on this blog.
Of course, you can use beef broth in this as well but we’ve been trying to stick with veggie broth so that’s what I have pictured here. Also, if you choose to use fresh corn, it adds a great flavor to the soup if you roast the corn first. Just roast the corn on a grill or in your oven prior to adding it to the soup.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can green chilies
- 2 cups vegetable or beef broth
- 1 package taco seasoning or 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 1 package Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix
- 1 avocado, diced for topping
- tortilla chips or Fritos for topping
- sour cream for topping
- shredded cheddar or taco blend cheese for topping
- Brown ground beef and onion together in soup pot, drain fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with shredded cheese, chips, sour cream & avocado.